Popular Posts

Thursday, June 16, 2011

THROW ME A BROKEN BONE

This is how it happened. If DOCS come to my door tomorrow I've got my story straight.
 
So anyway, there I am, jumping on the trampoline with Aidan. Having the time of our lives. Aidan was begging me to let him jump off the roof of our house onto the trampoline, but being the responsible parent I refused to let him. He did not take my rules well. His jumping became increasingly erratic, at one point hurling himself across the trampoline face first into the safety netting, that his father, with so much love in his heart, had erected in order to prevent anything hurting his precious boy.
 
This act of lunacy only increased Aidan's frustration. He became abusive. Yelling obscene things whilst I pleaded for him to calm down before someone gets hurt. He saw this statement as a threat and intensified his verbal barrrage to a point that bordered on racism. (?)
 
I noticed his body tensing as I began to cower and weep. I don't think I will ever forget the sight of his eyes turning blood red. His veins swollen to bursting point on every limb.
 
Then he lunged at me. Out of the backs of his hands, two sets of wolverine claws suddenly burst out, pointing straight at my exposed jugular.
 
In a desperate act of self defense, I leapt to my left, causing the trampoline surface to rebound as Aidan was about to land. Falling awkwardly, all sense of aggression disappeared as he began to sob uncontrollably. At first I assumed he had cut himself with his wolverine claws, but I could see no lacerations on him.
 
Fearing the worst was not over, I reluctantly approached him as he lay crying on the still bouncing surface. And reminiscent of Luke Skywalker with Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi, I picked him up in my arms (after checking his claws had retracted) and carried him to safety, only just escaping the exploding death star.
 
Now, if I read this often enough, will I begin to believe?
 
Knowing that I was indirectly responsible for the breaking of my sons leg is hard. It has been an emotional couple of weeks. My heart breaking no more than when Aidan said to me in the bath a few days later "I'm so sad you broke my leg." I am too son. Very sorry.
 
But as the weeks pass and every day he gets more mobile, and with that much happier, I start to forgive myself a little bit more every day. I can't wait to see his face when the cast comes off. That will be a healing day for both of us.
 
Until Then
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, one has a broken leg, the other a broken heart. And I only hope no one has a broken spirit as well! Thinking of you guys always, hoping the mending is happening quickly

    ReplyDelete