Popular Posts

Friday, June 17, 2011

OFF THE LEASH - PART 2

Another fun-filled night of blowing my nose, coughing up both lungs and dodging Aidan's nocturnal break-dance moves. Seriously that kid must get airborne with the thrashing he does in his sleep. Eventually I realized I was never going to be able to sleep so I removed Aidan's big toe from out of my left ear and dragged myself towards the lounge room to watch TV. I decided to watch cartoons whilst abusing the tissues this morning. Bad move. Now I'm the guy surrounded by a pile of tissues watching The Little Mermaid!

After another breakfast of stuff that should be claimable on Medicare, we jumped in the car for the drive up to Coffs. I managed to get some shut eye in between Taree and Port Macquarie. At that point it was decided that I should pull over and let Lisa drive. Both children travelled like seasoned veterans.

The Coffs Harbour leg of the holiday will undoubtedly be remembered for that annoying sort of rain where you stare out the window waiting for the drizzle to subside just enough to venture out, and when it does, you head into the outdoors, only to be ambushed by a fierce storm.

So a few days indoors it was then. Relaxing nonetheless.

The plan from Coffs Harbour was to travel up to the Sunshine Coast to inject some much needed funds into the Queensland economy.
After arriving at a stormy Marroochydore and settling into our unit, a stroll along the beachside path turned into a mad dash through pouring rain. Lisa pushing Lachlan in the pram, sprinting ahead as I dragged/carried Aidan, running as fast as he could. I could only laugh. I may have been channelling all those other tourists looking down from apartment balconies, their hot coffee cupped by two warm hands, smirking at the sight of the two stupid people taking their kids for a run in the rain.

A trip to Australia Zoo the following day was memorable for one reason. If I can quote Deborah Morgan, The "metric fuck tonne" of rain. I have never seen so much water.. Rain so dense there was a real concern the crocodiles could swim into the "air" and into the crowds.

So almost a thousand kilometres from home to go to a zoo, and Aidan's favourite things were, and I quote: "Lunch, and the shops, and dinner!" Fuck! Sounds like two hours at Orana Mall would have seen him just as happy! Oh well.

The days ahead in Gold Coast would prove to be the first time of pure relaxation.

More about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment